Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tailgating 101...HELP!!!


This is a picture of "The Pistol", our grandson, and smallest of our tailgaters. For those of you who don't know, I am a huge fan of tailgating. Not tailgating in general, a specific, all consuming tailgating event entirely devoted to watching and supporting our beloved Nebraska Cornhuskers. We travel 3 hrs. each Saturday from Des Moines to Lincoln, NE. If there is a home game, we must be in place, neatly set up, complete with tent and grill, in our same parking area at least 3 hrs. prior to kickoff. I do most all of the cooking for the event, although more and more I'm doling out small tasks to others. I might be just a tad OCD in this regard. We have all of the necessary equipment to transport both hot and cold foods, beverages, tables, chairs, etc. Hubby Dearest and I have packing for the event down to a science, but this year a small difficulty has arisen. I'm trying to make some of the food healthy choices. I don't dare spring the whole healthy food thing on the crowd all at once. I'll edge into it with some healthy stuff each week, and before they know it.........ah, hell, who am I kidding, one or two healthy dishes each week will be all I can pass off to these people.


To this end, I would like some assistance from you, my blog buddies. I'd like a recipe or two, or three that would feed 10-30 people, is low cal, low fat and healthy. I have a complete repertoire of the regular tailgate fare, so all I'd really need is a salad or two, and casserole or two, a wrap or two, things of that nature. The catch, of course, is that it has to be able to be easily transported. I can keep it hot or cold for an unlimited trip, but portability is key. My current project is slimming down my world famous killer chicken pot pie. Not sure how I'm going to go about that, but I'm determined to try.


Luckily, we do have breakfast tailgates once in a while, so we can cook healthy fare for those. Although, most prefer the M & M's to the strawberries, we also have fruit and veggie plates available each week, but some real rib-stickin' foods that are not loaded with fats, oils, cream, butter, you know, all the good stuff, would be nice. HELP!!! And Thank you.


I'm going to sit by my computer and await the millions of wonderful recipes that I'm sure will be coming my way shortly. Thank you to you all!!! GO BIG RED!!! (That's the Nebraska cheer, for those of you who might not know that.) AND, I should mention that if you are a huge fan of another team, I won't be offended if you send me a recipe dedicated to your favorite team. :)


I just love college football season!!!


8 comments:

  1. That sounds so fun AND delicious!

    Whenever we have a football party I make Chili and Cornbread Muffins. I make the chili with lean ground turkey and 3 kinds of beans. It ends up being so filling and for very little calories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many calories do ribs have? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a great recipe for Chinese Chicken Salad that I'll post next week (too much to leave in a comment). We eat it as a meal, but it can also be a side. BTW, both my parents went to OU...Go Sooners! (JK, I really don't care either way)

    ReplyDelete
  4. alas Im not on to ever ask for recipes.

    stopping by to steal, errm, see what other have said.

    and add my NFL .20 :)

    GO STEELERS!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, you asked for it!

    7 layer salad??? (don't have a recipe with me)

    Watergate salad. http://maryfransmenu.blogspot.com/2008/09/watergate-salad.html

    Jello cake http://maryfransmenu.blogspot.com/2008/12/jello-cake.html

    cherry angel food cake http://maryfransmenu.blogspot.com/2008/09/cherry-angel-food-cake.html

    Taco soup (might be a bit too difficult to transport though)
    http://maryfransmenu.blogspot.com/2009/08/taco-soup.html

    Chocolate Zucchini Cake
    http://maryfransmenu.blogspot.com/2009/08/double-chocolate-zucchini-cake.html

    Tortilla Cup Dessert (these are REALLY good)
    http://maryfransmenu.blogspot.com/2008/10/tortilla-dessert-cups.html

    Dream Dessert http://maryfransmenu.blogspot.com/2008/09/tilly-dream-dessert.html

    Caramel Apple Salad http://maryfransmenu.blogspot.com/2008/09/carmel-apple-salad.html

    Chocolate Meringue Cookies
    http://maryfransmenu.blogspot.com/2008/09/chocolate-meringue-cookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rock Chalk!
    Take a 4 and 20 JayHawks and bake 'em in a pie!
    :]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Miz, I am skulking about hoping for some ideas as well. Nebraska tailgating sounds like so much more fun than Masshole tailgating.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. You know you want to.