Tuesday, July 27, 2010

At A Crossroads

Remember the old Johnny Carson skit, where Johnny is giving directions to his character's car lot, and he says "When you come to the fork in the road, take it!!" Well, I think I might be at a crossroads ready to "take it"....but which way do I turn?

When I originally began this journey, it was to improve my health and hopefully lose weight along the way. I am happy to report that the health improvement is going along nicely, but there is always room for improvement. Improvement that would be greatly enhanced by a greater weight loss. Thursday I am going to the orthopedic Dr. for my cortisone shot. I know that it is going to bring relief, but I also know that relief will be temporary, and will wear off a month before I want to schedule my surgery. Crossroads #1...accept the fact that I will have another month like this last one before the surgery OR bite the bullet and schedule the surgery earlier and miss football season. (No I am not playing linebacker for the team.) Fact is, I am as crazy about Nebraska Cornhusker football as I am about golf!! Therein lies my dilemma.

Crossroads #2...I am not achieving the weight loss goals I had hoped for lately, but I know that my lack of exercise due to limited movement is not helping. It is not an excuse either. So, do I back off for now completely, continue the healthy eating and wait for pain relief to begin again, or do I toughen up and get on with it? I'm not a sissy by nature, but I am not enjoying the pain I'm inflicting upon myself one little bit. Even golf has been a struggle. Sunday, after a long layoff, I decided to give it a whirl. I only lasted 13 holes, then became an innocent bystander. That really hurts!!!

Crossroads #3...Blogging. While I love blogging, especially reading all of the blogs that I've followed all these months. I simply don't feel that I'm doing my part as a blogger. I'm not able to exercise, I'm not really losing weight, I'm just kinda hangin' on by a thread. My question is, "Should I continue to blog even tho' I have nothing but my marvelous wit (no wisdom) and sunny disposition to share? The blogging community has been so kind and generous to me, I hate to leave it altogether.

I can see that this post might qualify as a whiny, "oh poor me" post. I don't want it to be, really I don't. I want to make decisions that will be in my long term best interests. At 61, I want to maximize the years I have to look forward to. I don't want lasting damage from anything I may be trying to do right now. At least we are on the right track making good food choices, and making sure we find healthy alternatives to our old "vices". Guess that's a good thing, huh?

7 comments:

  1. I've also recently been at a crossroad....having to chose what I wanted to do. For me it came down to fear. Fear that I would go back to what I was before that made me step down the path that I chose.

    My advice to you...DEFINITELY continue the healthy eating. :-) Exercise when you can....but don't push yourself to the point of pain (well, muscle pain from working out is good...but you know what pain I'm talking about). When to get the surgery. You and you alone will have to weigh those options. I would say it really depends on how much pain and how debilitating that pain is.

    As for the blog. I went weeks and months (I feel) with nothing to say worth anything. I whined on my blog. I vented on my blog. I promised all sorts of things. But when it came down to it....it kept me accountable. Oh yeah, the accounting wasn't always pleasant...but I was accountable....and eventually it has pulled me back into the mindset that I need to be to continue on my quest for health! I write for me....for my thoughts and feelings along this journey. If someone finds my post boring, they dont' have to read it. So I say continue writing what is on your heart!

    Only you can make these decisions.....and I'm sure you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am mostly a lurker, but felt compelled to put in my 2 cents. The previous poster hit the nail on the head though, when she said "only you can make these decisions."
    Crossroads #1: I am sure that you are the biggest Cornhusker fan around. Ask yourself is it worth it to suffer one more month for football? And are you using football as an excuse to avoid something you fear (the surgery)?
    Crossroads #2: Keep eating healthy as you can. Be honest with yourself, and if you do those two things, then you are fine. The weight loss will come or it won't, but the important thing is making your best effort.
    Crossroads #3: This blog is yours! For you! So if you want to write, do it. If not, don't. If you don't want to write about healthy stuff, but would like to write about family or just post pictures or whatever, do it. Your true supporters will support you no matter what you blog about (within reason!)
    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep blogging!! Doesn't matter what's going on i really do believe that blogging helps. Besides i'm selfish and i want to read your posts :)
    When to get surgery?? Whenever your ready for it!
    I'm usually the get it over with quick kind of person but everyone's different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't perceive this as a "poor me" post at all. These are very real concerns, not some made up drama that you could fix in a jiffy, with no inconvenience, expense, or pain.

    In the end, it boils down to what I blogged about today: What do you REALLY want and how much? Is giving up a football season worth a more timely resolution to the knee pain? (We probably value those differently.*G*) Only you know how much these things really matter to you. Also, how they affect the people around you.

    Tough decisions, I know, but you're wise enough to reason it through.

    Fwiw, I hope you do continue blogging. I enjoy reading your insights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be in substantial pain to consider sitting out a football (or tailgating) season. As your daughter, I can vouch for the fact that you are NOT a wimp when it comes to pain. You're the toughest (and smartest) chick I know, which means you'll ultimately make the right decision for you. One advantage to early surgery - earlier recovery, possible golf in Arizona for Xmas???? I admit, that's a bit selfish on my part, but what can you do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My blog went from eating to crying to driving.
    Now I eat while I cry and drive at the same time.
    So please keep blogging!
    It's good for you and selfish of me to ask, but
    I like the fact that you are around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep blogging! There are always things to blog about :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. You know you want to.