Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Anyone Available for an Intervention?

I do believe I might be in serious need of one!!! This past two weeks have taken a real toll on my heretofore successful endeavors at health. And, before you ask, the tailgating did figure into my downfall, but it certainly was not the main cause of my fall from grace. For whatever reason, I just simply went crazy this past couple of weeks. I didn't keep track of calories, I just kinda "winged it", and now I know exactly what that is going to mean at tomorrow's weigh in. I can hear the scale speaking to me..."One at a time", is it's usual plea. I'm expecting an addendum of "And put the bowling ball down, too!". I suppose, after a suitable talking to, I'll get myself back into the correct mindset, but at the moment, I'm not feelin' it.

I did break down and make an appointment to see the Dr. about my knee. Can't get in until Oct. 22, so I must hobble around a bit longer. I've been hesitant to see a Dr. here, as my previous Dr. is in Omaha, and I had a wonderful experience with him. He was a friend and golf buddy, so I'd like to go back there to have the surgery if that's what is necessary. Guess we'll see when the time comes. Today the knee feels pretty good, so hopefully a longer, brisker walk will be possible. And, if nothing else, that will make me feel better about what is facing me tomorrow at my Wednesday Weigh In. At least I will have tried to get back on the wagon.

I must take a moment to brag about a project I just completed. I made beef jerky!! It is delicious. The dehydrator has been sitting on our kitchen island for over a week now drying its little heart out. I've done tomatoes, peppers and herbs. I decided I'd really like to give jerky a whirl. I used round steak, seasoned it and voilà! Beef jerky. Drying the beef jerky took less time than drying the sage leaves, which I found shocking. It was also kinda fun braggin' about my interesting cooking stuff. My next adventure is going to be making Feta cheese!! I'm not going to start that until later, but I'm gonna do it.

Well, time to put on the walking shoes and go for a spin.

8 comments:

  1. It happens to the best of us but the main thing is you realize where you went wrong and you know what to do to get back on track. Sorry your knee is hurting. I know for me that the slightest bit of pain usually makes me eat to comfort myself. Combine that with lack of exercise and it can be a disaster. Do you have a place where you could swim? Just about every person I know that swims has started due to joint problems.

    The beef jerky sounds great! I wish I could have a sample! I love it as a snack because it's full of protein and so portable! I will be interested to hear about the Feta as well. I think it's my favorite of all the cheeses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your knee. I hope it doesn't require surgery.

    I know just how you feel about your head not being where you want it to be. There must be something in the air and actually I find that during the change of seasons I get incredibly spacey/moody for about a week or so. Hang in there and keep fighting the good fight - things will right themselves very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suspect you suffer from my malady, which is being a basically happy person with a nice life. For shame! Seriously though, I could not bestir myself until I had significant health reasons to do so. I have two suggestions for you--

    1. List your health reasons (which I find more compelling than vanity, for some reason)
    2. Find a buddy who will spur you with a slight competitive edge. My husband is usually on the spot and if he's not cheating, well then I'm not cheating! Sometimes the desire to "win" or at least "not lose" can be helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is hard to keep on track all of the time, but sounds like you are getting back into it now.

    I hope you can get some help with that knee, a slight twinge and I am a depressed mess!

    Feta cheese? I love feta cheese - thought you needed a goat and to be greek to be able to make it - cool, looking forward to reading about that interesting experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is really hard to stay on track all the time. I know this from my own personal experience. The most important thing is that you know what went wrong, and what you can do to fix it!

    I hope the knee feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just get back on track! There is no reason to let one or two (or forty or fifty) poor decisions deter us from achieving our long term goals. You just need to learn from whatever mistakes may have been made and storm the gate anew. You can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're going to have that knee looked at! I'll hope for the best! Maybe you won't need surgery at all.

    That scale may fool you. We're much harder on ourselves than situations warrant sometimes. No matter what it says, you can get back on track starting right....NOW! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I read this post, and I really thought I wrote a comment...cuz I am really impressed with the feta cheese! I remember now, as I was reading that you were going to make feta, I was watching Alton Brown make cottage cheese...wonder what happen to my post!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. You know you want to.