Thursday, April 22, 2010

How I Spent My Earth Day




Today was Earth Day, and as part of doing something "earthy" I planted my herb garden, pepper plants....AND, tempting the gardening fates, I hung my tomatoes!! May 15 is the magic date for planting tomatoes, but I can't wait that long. I'm hoping that getting a jump start on the season will provide an extra early crop. We'll see. I want bragging rights in the neighborhood.

As part of this gardening project, I included the lifting, walking and bending over as part of my exercise for the day. As for the "not so green" part of the day, I had to run to the store to buy an extra bag of potting soil. Seems that taking out all of the strawberry plants in my tomato planter took a considerable amount of soil out as well. So I did have to take one extra trip to get the job completed.

Since taking the strawberries out I'm trying to decide what to plant in the top of the tomato "Thingy". I have 3 (soon to be 4) pepper plants and one stray dill plant. I'm thinking of putting in radishes. Ed loves radishes, and the CSA usually has only a few each week. The planter isn't really deep enough to try carrots or any other root crop, so maybe an early lettuce could work. Any ideas?? I'll pick up the seed on my next grocery shopping trip, as I want to remain as green as possible while doing this project. Looks so nice to glance out the kitchen door and see herbs just waiting for me. Gives me all sorts of new ideas for yummy concoctions for dinner.

Yesterday was Weigh In Wednesday, and I remained the same as last week. I was really hopeful after having done reasonably well over the tailgate weekend. I suppose I shouldn't complain, as it could have been (and has been in the past) much worse. I refuse to believe it was the M & M's I stole the other day. :) Other than that, I'd been doing quite nicely. I even lightened up a strawberry shortcake last night. Using Stevia to sweeten the strawberries and fat free angel food cake for the shortcake. The strawberries needed a little sweetener this time for some reason. Generally, they are plenty sweet all by themselves.

I hope everyone enjoyed their Earth Day as much as I enjoyed mine.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome pics!

    I love strawberries with angel food cake! I'm not sure why I ate those awful sponge cakes all those years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strawberries. Definitely strawberries.
    I'm a very good driver. Definitely.
    Strawberries.
    (Imagine a Rainman accent here!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A maintain on the scales is just about as good as a loss. Simple because ANYTHING other than a gain is good! :-) So congrats!

    Strawberries....love love love them. mine are starting to blossom. i'm SOOOO excited!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. You know you want to.