Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Questions I Ask Myself

It's weigh in Wednesday again!! And, after weighing in this morning, I began to question which weight should I record? Usually, my scale, which is a very good one, needs a jump start. By that I mean, I need to get on then off to reset it. When I got on the first time I got one reading, when I got on for the "real" weigh in it registered another weight. The two weights generally are only a tenth or two of an ounce different, today they were .8 different. Now my question is.....do I take the lower weight (-2#) which would force me to behave and exercise this week, or the higher (-1.2#) which would allow me to "coast" a bit? A dilemma, to be sure. Having not faced a life altering decision like this in quite a while, I pondered all through my shower. The answer became clear to me....take the -2# and work to make it stick. Then get my big, fat arse in gear to make the numbers better. After all, the minus sign means if I would have increased my exercise minimally. my numbers might possibly have been even better.

Now my next question. How can I vary my exercise routines to make them more appealing and be as effective as possible? I've had a trainer and know what I can/should do. I have all the equipment at home that I need. Which means I can watch any TV show I want while I work out and read anything I want while I walk/ride. (NO elliptical yet.) So why am I still so darned un-motivated? I watched the BL last night and thought surely that would push me to get the job done. Not so. This morning brought no inspiration, whatsoever. Oh, I did a few weights, but only a half hearted attempt. I am, by nature, a lazy person, so this lack of enthusiasm comes as no great shock to me, but it is starting to annoy the heck out of me. I'm being successful in my attempt to regain my health in almost every other area. It's just the exercise portion of the journey that makes me stumble. I also know I feel better and am more energetic when I'm able to play golf more often, but the weather has curtailed that for now. I miss golf, but I can, and should get something more into my routine.

My last question. Does anyone have a sure fire way to get motivated? Any great new tricks? Any wonderful new exercises that are fun and interesting? I'm listening!!!

11 comments:

  1. Well congratulations on the weight loss--either number is really good!!

    I am basically lazy by nature too. I do not love exercising. I hope you get some good comments, because I need to know too!

    My motivation, right now, is getting to "maintenance mode" as quick as possible and then finding the least amount of exercise required to maintain instead of doing as much as can to lose, which hasn't been much lately. I also need a timeline, and I know if I didn't have my goal tied to my birthday, I probably would have just continued to gain.Even though i have only lost a few pounds, at least I am finally headed in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes several months to really get into a routine. So I say to commit to at least 3 days a week........no excuses....more if you can and do it for 2 months. At the end of the two months, your body will be so used to it, you will start to crave it :) Think of it as "me" time and get selfish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sat down and wrote it on my calender so anyone who looked at it knows what days I am supposed to exercise. It's helping, but not a huge motivator. If you get something that works longterm, let me know too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stand naked in front of a mirror. That's motivation....I seriously don't know how to motivate someone. Just start doing it...that's how I got motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw your comment on my weight loss blog. Oh, I do need LOTS of motivation...that's why I write these things so they'll be like little post-it's stuck all over me and get me moving in the right direction. Finding lots of encouragement and comraderie from blogs like yours.
    Cynthia at newmeweightlossjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find going out to the gym or walking in the countryside to be great motivators for me. It makes me want to do more and achieve more and I enjoy finding out what my body is capable of.

    So, mix it up a bit, find a class to go to, go swimming, or walk outside - confuse your body and find the joy in the exercise again.

    Brilliant weight loss (either figure), by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, and PS: I have seen the wonderful comments that you leave everyone, including myself and it is obvious you are a great motivator - don't forget about yourself though!

    Thanks for your encouragement - you are a star!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly, I have to admit...every morning when I get out of the shower I am smack dab in front of the mirror. It's like being in a darn motel room bathroom. :( However, it has not motivated me sufficiently to get back into my exercise routine. YET!!! I'm workin' on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the "present" comment you left me. We can do this! You always have such nice motivating things to say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the encouraging comment you left on my blog today! I really appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that the most important thing about which weight to put in as your official weight is to be consistent. If you want to do the second ALWAYS do the second, no matter what the first one says. If you chose the first one, don't even go for a second weigh in!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, leave a comment. You know you want to.